Monday, August 23, 2010

On The Wrong Side Of The Fence :(

This morning I had to take Sophie and Bernice to the Vet for their six month well checks, and Brutus wouldn't take "no" for an answer when it came time to get in the car to go, so along he came. If he was the one actually going to the Vet, he would have been at home hiding in the furnace room, but there's just this small part of me that thinks he wanted to be there to say "neener neener" to his feline sisters. Anyway, I chose to drop them off and pick them up after lunch instead of waiting this time. I know, I am a much less loving mother these days. lol!!

Since I wasn't cleaned up yet for the day, and it felt too muggy out to go for a big walk, I decided to take Brutus to a dog park that I hadn't been to since last winter. I always get nervous going to new places by myself, but I decided to give it a shot. It turned out well. There were two very nice men there with their dogs, and a little later another girl showed up with her two dogs, one who could quite possibly belong to the mob. I think it was a lab, but this was the biggest chocolate lab I had ever seen in my life, and he wanted to show everyone that he was the boss. He wasn't mean. He just needed to do a little humping on each dog to say "hey buddy, I could own you and your family, so don't mess with me". Cracked me up. Would have been even funnier if he had a name like Fluffy or something, but his name was Hershey, which actually did fit. I kept waiting for quotes from The Godfather to come out of his mouth!!

Brutus did his normal chipmunk search. He smelled and smelled and smelled. Once he was done smelling the whole back side of the fence line, he finally gave up and just looked out into the wilderness on the other side with a sad face. Anyone who has followed this blog knows just how much Brutus would have loved to have scaled that six foot fence and gone after anything that moved!
Is it ever wrong to wonder if the right thing to do was save their life? I know that we have given him the best life that any dog could possibly ask for, but if he was thrown away, and spent who knows how long running free, going after critters, I wonder which he would choose. Hmmm.
Anyway, we finished up the morning outing with a trip to McDonald's for an Egg McMuffin and a bottle of nice cold water. He seemed really happy after that, and quite tired out by the time we got home. I just have to believe that an Egg McMuffin would be so much better than a chipmunk. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment