Thursday, August 18, 2011

Shaking In Our Paws


See that face? That is the face of a boy who seems to know that he has a vet appointment tomorrow. How he knows is beyond me! He's had this worried look on his face all day. Everytime I look at him he gives me this big sad face and moves his eyebrows up and down. It's that face that makes you want to give him the whole bag of string cheese.

Brutus loves everyone, and honestly, I would trust him with a brand new baby alone on the floor. With that said, there is a disclaimer. He does hate the vet, and I think he would probably kill him or her if he needed to in order to get away. I don't know what has happened in his past to instill that fear in to him, but he literally shakes in his boots/paws. As soon as we get in the front door, I have to drag him across the floor up to the desk to check him in, lift his butt up on to the scale (all 90 lbs. of it) and then push him across the floor in to the exam room. Once we're in the exam room, he tries to open the door with his paws. He fusses and starts to sweat and pant. If the Vet Tech or Veterinarian even come near him, he bares his teeth and starts to growl, which means that the muzzle has to come out. The last time I took him to the vet, even with him muzzled, he still tried to kill the vet, and she said that she would no longer see him unless he was sedated.

So, sedate him we did, or at least we tried. The Vet Tech came in and gave him the first shot. She said that within a few minutes he should start to stumble a little, and then get very sleepy. Well, after thirty minutes, he showed absolutely no signs of ANYTHING. So, they gave him a second shot. It literally took a good twenty minutes longer before he started stumbling even a little bit. By then, Don had gotten to the clinic to join me. Needless to say, I was pretty upset. Brutus never did go to sleep, but we were able to lift him up on to the exam table and complete his exam.

When I called to make the appointment for tomorrow, I warned them ahead of time that Brutus would need to be sedated. Hopefully we won't have to go through all of the waiting and trauma. Hopefully they will have the syringe ready and waiting for us. I would like to be sedated too.

I'll let you know how it goes. Keep your paws crossed!

1 comment:

  1. poor poor boy. i have a feeling it has something to do with his almost-fate before you saved him.... perhaps he knows that's what they do sometimes? i don't know... either way, poor babe. poor, poor brutus.... give him some loves from me :)

    ReplyDelete